June is Pride Month in Canada. As we celebrate our 2SLGBTQ+ community, we take this opportunity to learn, understand and inclusively support each other as part of the beautiful diversity that makes up our country, from coast to coast.
Celebrating the freedom to embrace who we are allows everyone to bring their authentic selves to their personal and work lives every day. We have to ensure that all people are free to self-determine their gender identity and expression, without facing persecution, discrimination or violence.
Pride events happening across Canada celebrate the diversity, history, achievements of the community, acknowledging the long road that has been traveled to get to this point, and how much more still needs to be done. Brands across industries need to reach out and be part of the celebrations to show support, allegiance and equality to their consumers in the community, and help further the cause. It is important for brands to be genuine, and go beyond just rainbow stripes on their logos, and marketing opportunities to profit.
Here are some of the ways organisations can give back and support 2SLGBTQ+ inclusivity in meaningful and impactful ways:
– Donate to organisations that empower and uplift the cause of 2SLGBTQ+ enrichment
– Support Pride, and amplify your support so other organisations are inspired to follow suit
– Plan in advance and create pride-inspired merchandise to promote visibility, and ensure that the proceeds go back to benefit the community and charities
– Acknowledge and celebrate your consumers in the community with wishes and support
– Have a promotion, contest, social media challenge, that encourages awareness, understanding and bonding
– Partner with 2SLGBTQ+ artists to promote the cause
– Collaborate with openly gay creators to endorse their work
– Engage influencers, thought-leaders, mentors and inspirational voices from the community to be your brand ambassadors for the cause
– Show Pride in your social presence with a strong hashtag and diverse content
– Sponsor shows and events that spotlight the cause and include cast and crew from the community
– Showcase 2SLGBTQ+ employees within your organisation and celebrate their journey and stories
– As a company, engage employees to volunteer together, to support a Pride-related cause
– Reach out to your consumers in the community to learn about the less talked about issues that matter to them, including mental health, youth homelessness, career support, crisis intervention, suicide prevention, and reach out in support
Whatever you choose to do to support the cause, ensure that it is not only for the month of June, but on an ongoing basis. This will help create long-lasting bonding, trust and loyalty from the 2SLGBTQ+ community.
Diversity Beyond Ethnicity is a marketing program of Maple Diversity Communications to provide advertising, marketing and research solutions to enable brands to successfully identify with diverse consumer groups and achieve their business objectives. We ensure that your brand’s communication embraces the uniqueness of this audience and reaches them effectively through the most impactful media channels, leading to a strong brand-consumer connect. Get in touch with us for more information on how our team can help you reach your 2SLGBTQ+ consumers.[/fusion_text][/one_full][/fullwidth]